Eastern Montana Penitentiary
- View Full Item
- Created Date
The Eastern Montana State Prison, established by the State Legislature in 1893, was never completed and eventually became a private project of Austin North by 1904. The story and a sketch of the prison, as it was to appear, is in the 1894 Billings Gazette special edition, 'Billings and Yellowstone County Illustrated', Billings Gazette, 1894. It was located above and just to the northeast of North Park at the head of 16th Street North. The Prison was being built by 1895 - See 'Visit Two Pens; Legislators Inspect the Prisons at Billings and Deer Lodge', Helena Weekly Independent, February 14, 1895. Austin North took over the property soon after construction of the prison had ceased and in 1931 the government bought back the land. The remaining building, which North had proposed for a country club, burned and the stones were used for the wall of the tennis courts at Pioneer park and for edging along the road up on the rimrocks, as part of WPA work in the mid-1930s. - See 'Fire Ended White Elephant Constructed Near Rims Through Political Logrolling', Billings Gazette, April 17, 1949 and 'Billings Penitentiary becomes A Legend As City Seeks To Salvage Stone For Airport', Billings Gazette, September 1, 1935. I wonder if the sandstone blocks around the Hart statue at the Airport (mid-1930s) also come from the prison walls?
- Contributing Institution
- Billings Public Library
- Billings, Montana;
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Unknown. Eastern Montana Penitentiary. 1910. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16013.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16013coll53/id/206. (Accessed August 5, 2020.)
- APA citation style
- Unknown, (1910) Eastern Montana Penitentiary. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16013.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16013coll53/id/206
- MLA citation style
- Unknown. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16013.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16013coll53/id/206>.