Bill PenmanPenman, David C.--Homesteaders--Stillwater County (Mont.).
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- c. 1900
Studio portrait of William James Penman. William, or “Willie,” the son of David C. and Margery (Preston) Penman, was born on July 16, 1883, in Cokedale, Montana. His father, David, had come west from Eckhart, Maryland, in 1883, and had both mined coal and supplied coke to the Northern Pacific railroad. Between 1898 and 1905, the family ran the Maryland Hotel. Willie worked as a brakeman, then fireman, on the railroad, until he homesteaded in the Lake Basin area. During the drought of the 1920’s, he went to work in East Helena at the smelter. In semi-retirement, he returned to Columbus and worked as a clerk in the city office (They Gazed on the Beartooths, Volume III, page 98). Penman married Evelyn (“Effie”) Powers, the daughter of William A. and Lillian Mary (Smith) Powers, on August 2, 1904, in Billings, Yellowstone County, MT. Evelyn was born September 14, 1884, in Springfield, OR, and had moved from Oregon to Montana to teach school. Willie died January 25, 1955, in Stillwater County, MT; Evelyn died on August 8, 1962, in Columbus (MacFarlane family tree at ancestry.com).
- Annin, James T., 1890-1984
- Contributing Institution
- Museum of the Beartooths, Stillwater County, Columbus, MT
- Stillwater County, Montana.
- Standardized Rights Statement
- This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. You are free to use this Item in any way that is permitted by the copyright and related rights legislation that applies to your use. For other uses you need to obtain permission from the rights-holder(s).a
- Chicago citation style
- Annin, James T., 1890-1984. Bill Penman,Penman, David C.--Homesteaders--Stillwater County (Mont.).. c. 1900. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16013.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16013coll26/id/168. (Accessed May 30, 2020.)
- APA citation style
- Annin, James T., 1890-1984, (c. 1900) Bill Penman,Penman, David C.--Homesteaders--Stillwater County (Mont.).. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16013.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16013coll26/id/168
- MLA citation style
- Annin, James T., 1890-1984. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16013.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16013coll26/id/168>.