Vincent "Vince" Simons Interview, November 1988
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Vincent “Vince” Simons describes moving to Montana from South Dakota by hopping a boxcar in 1931 in hopes of finding a lucrative job as a miner during the Great Depression. Simons recalls finding a job in 1933 with a gold dredging operation in Pioneer Gulch, Montana, working for the Pioneer Placer Dredging Company. Simons discusses the construction of the Mosier dredge, what sorts of materials were used in the construction process, the mechanics of the dredge in operation, and discusses the volume of earth the dredge could move and particularly large strikes. He also views photos of the dredge that indicate the various stages of construction and points out the different pieces of equipment and how they functioned. Simons talks about disputes among dredge workers and instances of “crookedness” within the dredging operation, as well as disputes between the company owners and surrounding landowners.
- Simons, Vincent "Vince"
- Contributing Institution
- University of Montana-Missoula. Mansfield Library
- Great Depression, 1929-1939
Pioneer Gulch, Montana
Wall City, Montana
Powell County, Montana
Gold Creek Mining Company
Pioneer Placer Dredging Company
Gold mines and mining, Equipment and supplies
Dredges, Design and construction
- Copyright to this collection is held by the interview participants and by the Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, University of Montana-Missoula. Permission may be required for use. For further information please contact Archives and Special Collections: (406) 243-2053 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chicago citation style
- Simons, Vincent "Vince". Vincent "Vince" Simons Interview, November 1988. 1988-11-01T08:00:00Z. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://scholarworks.umt.edu/mtunionsandlabor_oralhistory/10. (Accessed November 24, 2020.)
- APA citation style
- Simons, Vincent "Vince", (1988-11-01T08:00:00Z) Vincent "Vince" Simons Interview, November 1988. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://scholarworks.umt.edu/mtunionsandlabor_oralhistory/10
- MLA citation style
- Simons, Vincent "Vince". Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <https://scholarworks.umt.edu/mtunionsandlabor_oralhistory/10>.