G. M. (Givens Montgomery) 'Dink' Masterson familyMasterson, George Givens Montgomery, 1862-1947--Homesteaders--Stillwater County (Mont.).
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- c. 1897
Studio portrait of the George Givens Montgomery and Alice (Griffith) Masterson family. Givens, or “Dink,” was born on September 21, 1862, in either in Eugene or in Jarvis, OR, the son of James Alfred and Valinda Harriet (Campbell) Masterson. He married Alice Griffith, daughter of Josiah and Matilda (Boyd) Griffith, on June 23, 1892, in Saratoga, Carbon County, Wyoming, and moved to the Red Lodge area where he worked for a cattle outfit between Red Lodge Creek and the Stillwater. Alice was born February 17, 1870, in Nebraska (at the time of the 1885 Nebraska state census, the Griffith family lived in Fairbury, Jefferson County). While working on the White and Garrigan irrigation ditches, the couple lived in Columbus, where their first child, Montie, was born. Eventually the Mastersons purchased a relinquishment four miles south of Absarokee at what came to be known as the Masterson ford. Here the three younger Masterson children were born: Mary, Carl, and William. By 1914, the Mastersons had divorced, and Givens married Marion V. Uffelman on September 24th in Idaho Falls, ID. Because of land that he had used to graze his cattle being opened for homesteading, he moved to Rock Creek at about this time. Masterson married Estella Grace (Borland) Redding, the daughter of Theodore V. and Mary Melvina (Riley) Borland, on April 6, 1920, in Cody, Park County, WY. She was born December 7, 1880, in Kansas (the 1900 census shows her living with her parents in Topeka), and died July 2, 1945, in Stillwater County. Givens died on May 18, 1947, in Absarokee.
- Annin, James T., 1890-1984
- Contributing Institution
- Museum of the Beartooths, Stillwater County, Columbus, MT
- Stillwater County, Montana.
- Standardized Rights Statement
- This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. You are free to use this Item in any way that is permitted by the copyright and related rights legislation that applies to your use. For other uses you need to obtain permission from the rights-holder(s).a
- Chicago citation style
- Annin, James T., 1890-1984. G. M. (Givens Montgomery) 'Dink' Masterson family,Masterson, George Givens Montgomery, 1862-1947--Homesteaders--Stillwater County (Mont.).. c. 1897. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16013.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16013coll26/id/166. (Accessed May 30, 2020.)
- APA citation style
- Annin, James T., 1890-1984, (c. 1897) G. M. (Givens Montgomery) 'Dink' Masterson family,Masterson, George Givens Montgomery, 1862-1947--Homesteaders--Stillwater County (Mont.).. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16013.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16013coll26/id/166
- MLA citation style
- Annin, James T., 1890-1984. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16013.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16013coll26/id/166>.