Florence Murray Tubbs Interview, October 24, 1982
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Florence Murray Tubbs recalls her family’s experiences in moving to and living in rural Montana in the early 1900s. She describes how her father obtained a homestead near Belt and Raynesford, Montana, in 1918, and how much upkeep it required. She talks about the chores she and each of her sibling were responsible for, including protecting sheep from coyotes and milking the cows. Tubbs discusses importance of cooperation and teamwork in the community and how much the neighbors relied on each other during haying and harvest season, particularly during the Great Depression. She recalls her time in a one-room schoolhouse, which was also built as a collaborative effort in the community, especially the games she and her classmates played and the events that were held in the building. She mentions on holiday traditions, limited medical assistance, and what she and her family did for fun on the ranch. Tubbs also addresses the lack of racial prejudice in her community, which had a significant immigrant population, and how much she admires those who made it through the Great Depression.
- Tubbs, Florence Murray
- Contributing Institution
- University of Montana-Missoula. Mansfield Library
- Great Depression, 1929-1939
Great Falls, Montana
- Copyright to this collection is held by the interview participants and by the Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library, University of Montana-Missoula. Permission may be required for use. For further information please contact Archives and Special Collections: (406) 243-2053 / email@example.com
- Chicago citation style
- Tubbs, Florence Murray. Florence Murray Tubbs Interview, October 24, 1982. 1982-10-24T07:00:00Z. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://scholarworks.umt.edu/mtsettlersandhomsteaders_oralhistory/23. (Accessed January 16, 2021.)
- APA citation style
- Tubbs, Florence Murray, (1982-10-24T07:00:00Z) Florence Murray Tubbs Interview, October 24, 1982. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://scholarworks.umt.edu/mtsettlersandhomsteaders_oralhistory/23
- MLA citation style
- Tubbs, Florence Murray. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <https://scholarworks.umt.edu/mtsettlersandhomsteaders_oralhistory/23>.