Edy's Candy and Ice Cream parlor and basement bowling alley at 122 Broadway.
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Joseph Oliver Edy's Homemade candy and ice cream parlor, with a bowling alley in the basement, at 122 North Broadway in the Babcock Block. Joseph Edy was born in Missouri and raised in Montana (from Wiki). His Confectionary, Ice Cream and Light Lunches was located at 122 North Broadway during the 19-teens. Edy sold the business in 1919 to focus on establishing a 'wholesale candy-house,' in Billings. See 'Edy's is Sold, Form New Firm, Princess owners Buy Broadway Ice Cream Parlors', Billings Gazette, September 14, 1919. Joe O. (age 28), Grace (27) and William Edy (4), along with Grace Dowling (56, widowed mother) lived on Lewis Avenue, Billings in 1920. In June 1922, Joseph O. and Grace W. Edy, lost their 6 year old son, William Joseph 'a native of Montana,' while living in Oakland, CA. Joseph Edy opened Edy's Character Candies Shop in Oakland, CA in the 1920s. Dreyer's Grand Ice Cream Holdings, Inc., now a subsidiary of Nestl�, is a United States-based producer of ice cream and frozen yogurt. It was founded in 1928 as Edy's Grand Ice Cream in Oakland, California by Joseph Oliver Edy and William Dreyer. Rocky Road ice cream was invented in the 1920s by William Dreyer of Dreyer's & Edy's Ice Cream. Edy is credited as a co-creator - See 'Rocky Road Ice Cream still tops after Sixty Years', Santa Cruz Sentinel, November 27, 1989. Dryers was the West Coast ice cream name brand, while Edy�s Ice Cream was reserved for the East Coast (so as not to compete with Breyers ice Cream, a popular East Coast brand). Marjorie Jean Speidel, the daughter of Merritt C. Speidel - the newspaper publisher, married Joseph Oliver Edy, Jr. in Palo Alto, California in late July, 1944 - See 'Popular Couple Exchange Vows at Garden Ceremony', Nevada State Journal, July 28, 1944.
- Contributing Institution
- Billings Public Library
- Billings, Montana;
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Unknown. Edy's Candy and Ice Cream parlor and basement bowling alley at 122 Broadway.. 1915. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16013.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16013coll53/id/242. (Accessed May 30, 2020.)
- APA citation style
- Unknown, (1915) Edy's Candy and Ice Cream parlor and basement bowling alley at 122 Broadway.. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16013.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16013coll53/id/242
- MLA citation style
- Unknown. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16013.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16013coll53/id/242>.