The Walter Maddux familyMaddux, Walter, 1889-1962—Homesteading—Stillwater County (Mont.).
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- c. 1925
Three-generation outdoor photograph of the Samuel Henry and Walter Maddux families. Walter Maddux was born June 26, 1890 in Bozeman, Gallatin County, MT, the son of Samuel Henry and Sophronia Elizabeth (Gudgel) Maddux, who had married in 1881. In 1912 Walter homesteaded on White Bird Creek in Stillwater County but relinquished that claim when he joined his father’s ranching operation on Grove Creek (Samuel had purchased the Thayer ranch). After Samuel’s retirement, he worked at the Kyle and Mandeville Grocery Store in Columbus. Walter married Florence M. White on September 20, 1916, in Bozeman, MT. At the time of the 1918 draft registration, he listed himself as a chauffeur for the Montana Taxi Company in Billings. After Florence’s death he remarried on November 2, 1920, in Columbus, this time to Mary Abigail Kyle, the daughter of William L. and Minerva (Eddy) Kyle. Later that year, he returned to Bozeman to own and operate his own grocery store. The Madduxes returned to Columbus after the sale of their Bozeman grocery, and Walter ran the “Your Ford Comes First” garage, the first Ford agency in Columbus. During the Depression the Madduxes moved again, this time to California, where Maddux worked for the Great Western Power Company, then owned and operated a service station. The family moved to Napa during World War II, where Walter, or “Walt,” worked in the shipyards. After the war the family returned home to Stillwater County and the Kyle ranch.
- Annin, James T., 1890-1984
- Contributing Institution
- Museum of the Beartooths, Stillwater County, Columbus, MT
- Stillwater County, Montana.
- Standardized Rights Statement
- This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. You are free to use this Item in any way that is permitted by the copyright and related rights legislation that applies to your use. For other uses you need to obtain permission from the rights-holder(s).a
- Chicago citation style
- Annin, James T., 1890-1984. The Walter Maddux family,Maddux, Walter, 1889-1962—Homesteading—Stillwater County (Mont.).. c. 1925. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16013.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16013coll26/id/153. (Accessed May 30, 2020.)
- APA citation style
- Annin, James T., 1890-1984, (c. 1925) The Walter Maddux family,Maddux, Walter, 1889-1962—Homesteading—Stillwater County (Mont.).. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16013.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16013coll26/id/153
- MLA citation style
- Annin, James T., 1890-1984. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16013.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16013coll26/id/153>.